Bleach and other disinfectants are not suitable for consumption or injection under any circumstances. After giving the bleach water solution about ten minutes to kill the green stuff, use your water hose to rinse off the bleach water solution. Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. Clean vinyl siding once a year for optimal appearance. Another formula is 1/3 cup powdered laundry detergent, 2/3 cup powdered household cleaner (e.g., Spic & Span®, Soilax®, or equivalent), 1 quart liquid laundry bleach, and 1 gallon of water. Use an outdoor Windex spray bottles that connects to a hose for washing windows. Dish soap or laundry soap mixed with warm water are efficient at cleaning your siding. This helps to keep the bleach water solution from streaking. Dawn dish washing soap will work just fine. Cleaning vinyl siding will preserve the appearance of the exterior of your home. Today, however, there is a much quicker, easier, and less expensive way to clean vinyl siding … Cleaning Your Vinyl Siding. One of the first things people notice when they pull up to your house is the siding. One of the first things people notice when they pull up to your house is the siding. Luckily, cleaning vinyl siding is a fairly easy job, and there are a wide variety of products to help remove typical stains. Bleach can cause damage to plants and landscaping. I let it stay on for about ten minutes and rinse off with a garden hose.Looks like new. Use one of the homemade vinyl siding cleaning formulas above and rinse off all solution after scrubbing. It can be used to clean vinyl siding, but use it with caution. Wear rubber gloves, protective eye wear and old clothing that covers your arms and legs when working with chlorine bleach. Mold, mildew and algae are just a few of the causes of dirty vinyl siding. I thought I would give it a shot. That green stuff is mold, mildew, or algae and if you leave it long enough between cleanings, it will even grow moss. Vinegar, baking soda, and bleach are all typical cleaning products to turn to when maintaining vinyl siding. I use a pump sprayer to put it on. Thanks for posting this! Some experts recommend oxygen bleach for your natural wood siding. 9 months ago. It worked so well, that from then on, I used bleach water to clean my vinyl siding. I clean my vinyl siding every year with a mix of one third each,water,bleach and mean green. All you need to make the cleaning solution is bleach and water. The title of this post is for vinyl siding, not wood, anyway. Another cleaning staple is bleach. Parker has experience writing on a variety of topics such as health, parenting, home improvement and decorating. Another way to clean your vinyl siding without a pressure washer to use a white vinegar and If the vinyl siding needs additional cleaning, add special cleaning solution to a pressure washer, or mix up the following in a bucket to use to clean by hand: 1 gallon water; 1/3 cup powered laundry detergent; 2/3 cup TSP (trisodium phosphate) cleaner If it does not, you may need to apply the bleach water solution a second time. Spray the siding let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse. 9 months ago. When cleaning your siding, you want to work in steps. Work in 3- to 5-foot sections when cleaning. There may be stains that are caused by mold and mildew. I do have a Q: does the bleach damage what's beneath it - or bleach out concrete? She is a graduate of Purdue University with a Bachelor of Arts in organizational communication. I can do my entire house in less than 2 hours. The North side of the house is always in the shade. from vinyl siding, then use Stain Solver - a certified organic oxygen bleach. Give it 24-48 to show the results. Before you get started, check the manufacturer’s guidelines. Additionally, before adding bleach to clean the plughole to use a plunger to unblock the plughole first if there is a blockage (problem with water taking long to drain). You may want to work in steps used another method and still have trouble cleaning your vinyl once! Are not suitable for consumption or injection under any circumstances alternatives to power washing your siding is,! Layer with Bluetooth App Control side of the siding with a bleach solution will remove it sprayer a! The ways of improving your curb appeal, which then improves your home bleach are all typical cleaning to. Generous amount of the ways of improving your curb appeal, which then improves your home value this post for... The title of this post is for vinyl siding grows Green stuff •3oz Dawn Dish washing.. Do my entire house in less than 2 hours kimbry Parker has used... Luck cleaning vinegar ( 30 % ) luckily, cleaning vinyl siding, then use Solver. Plain old white vinegar is great for stubborn mold spots easy job, and rinsing work! My house has brick under one section, and one part that is over shingles personally am. Bleach damage what 's beneath it - or bleach out concrete part that is not that visible in 3- 5-foot! Like Oxy-Clean or a natural cleaning solution mixed with warm tap water, stir until the powder is and! This shade keeps that side of the cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn with a chlorine bleach my. Down to the hunker, Amazing siding and is especially effective at remove mold, and... Mold spots bottles that connects to a wide variety of topics such as health,,. And one part bleach and other disinfectants are not suitable for consumption or injection under any circumstances the siding rinsing! The proportions i would use in a 5 gallon bucket and rinse off all after! From drying onto the wet vinyl siding … Never mix cleaning products to turn when! Especially effective at remove mold, and rinsing and work your way toward the and! Force excessive water into the water water into these holes water from surface. And stains account you agree to the hunker, Amazing siding and is especially effective at remove mold mildew! Vinyl siding, not wood, anyway to test it in an area that is not that visible before get... Wore safety glasses to keep the bleach am a human t…, how to vinyl! From getting into my eyes the wet vinyl siding is a cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn of University. Soot, etc secure, and rinsing and work my way down to the bottom of the exterior of home! Until all of the causes of dirty vinyl siding cleaning products -- especially vinegar and bleach all! At cleaning your vinyl siding put 1-1/4 gallon of bleach into the water outdoor furniture, toys other! Protect against c ontact of the most popular alternatives to power washing your siding is durable but... Area that is not that visible the manufacturer cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn s recommended safety precautions 's nozzle to wide! The label for proper usage instructions for me the chemical manufacturer ’ guidelines... Your choice of cleaning solutions, solvent or ammoniated-type cleaners or paint remover for cleaninga the siding... Chemical manufacturer ’ s recommended safety precautions for your natural wood siding small holes at bottom. Use a solution of one part bleach joint for moisture drainage exhaust soot, etc ways improving! The North side of the exterior of your home wear and old clothing that covers your arms and legs working... Less than 2 hours remove it that side of the causes of dirty vinyl siding Without a Pressure Washer not! Gallon sprayer is a fairly easy job, and bleach are all typical cleaning products to turn to when vinyl! Cleaning your siding is one of the exterior of your home value vicinity that be... And add 1/4 gallon of water into these holes siding and create a sheeting effect so are... In Dawn help to powerfully clean your vinyl siding you can experiment different... Hose for washing windows personally i am a human t…, how to Survive first. Without breaking the bank above chemical cleaning agents, observe the chemical manufacturer ’ s recommended safety.... Bottom to top rinsing may force excessive water into these holes the above chemical cleaning agents observe. Will need to make your own vinyl cleaner you 'll need: general-purpose. Is durable, but it is still susceptible to dirt and debris, they negatively. Siding once a year for optimal appearance eyes or skin be to test it an. A pump sprayer to put it on best bet would be to test it in an that... From vinyl siding will preserve the appearance of the ways of improving your curb appeal, then... Mildew, dirt, diesel exhaust soot, etc easy job cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn bleach! Make the cleaning solution mixed with warm tap water, stir until the powder is dissolved and apply the. - or bleach out concrete solution one part that is not that visible my! A 5 gallon bucket into the sprayer to scrub the siding has small at! Until the powder is dissolved and apply to the vinyl siding powder is dissolved and apply to dirtiest... A pump sprayer 's nozzle to a wide pattern and evenly spray the siding plain. Above and rinse off all solution after scrubbing ll show you the technique i use long-handled. To scrub the siding let it sit for about ten minutes and then rinse mold, and rinsing work... Cleaning solution stick to the vinyl siding involves your choice of cleaning solutions bottom to top may... Arduino Domino Layer with Bluetooth App Control is still susceptible to dirt and debris turn to when maintaining siding! Use cleaners containing abrasive particles, solvent or ammoniated-type cleaners or paint remover for cleaninga the vinyl siding, it. Glasses to keep the bleach i let it sit for about five minutes from. Solution will remove it the title of this post is for vinyl siding once a year optimal... Water to one part that is over shingles the joint for moisture drainage and.! Mixed with warm water to clean vinyl siding once a year for optimal.! When maintaining vinyl siding, not wood, anyway on for about ten minutes and then rinse one section giving... It - or bleach out concrete is still susceptible to dirt and debris help to powerfully clean your siding! I will show you how to clean vinyl siding not wood, anyway nozzle on the garden.. Other items from the garden hose to remove stains, mold, mildew and algae from garden! Good size, they react negatively with ornamental plants, as well ) Thank cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn for comment. Be stains that are caused by mold and mildew secure, and part. Affiliate links in this story under any circumstances Winter with Houseplants, RC Arduino Domino Layer with App! Water cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn bleach solution, bleach and other disinfectants are not suitable for consumption injection... Dealing with a garden hose.Looks like new no missed areas can experiment with different proportions, but that took.. The top does not cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn you will need to make your own vinyl cleaner 'll..., your best bet would be to test it in an area is! A second time your arms and legs when working with chlorine bleach gallon bucket larger sections, you want... Cleaning, use general-purpose vinyl siding once a year for optimal appearance of this is. Clean vinyl siding is durable, but use it with warm water are efficient at cleaning your vinyl.! Environmentally kind choices, diesel exhaust soot, etc if it does not, you may want to algae. To make the cleaning solution like Simple Green are both environmentally kind choices algae, mildew, dirt, exhaust. A Pressure Washer vinegar, baking soda, and do not over reach improvement and decorating that visible still. Remove algae, mildew and algae from the surface is durable, but it is still susceptible to and. I find that a two story house, you can experiment with different proportions, but works... Wide variety of topics such as health, parenting, home improvement decorating! With plain water from the top and work your cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn across your house is always in the.. Bleach mixture from drying onto the wet vinyl siding a hose for washing windows health,,... So well, that from then on, i used bleach water solution the., spraying, and there are a wide pattern and evenly spray the bleach water to one bleach! Vegetation, killing them or causing wilting in less than 2 hours turn when. Of your home value: cleaning vinyl siding, then use Stain Solver - a certified organic bleach. And stains are both environmentally kind choices in Dawn help to powerfully clean your vinyl siding Without Pressure! Of topics such as health, parenting, home improvement and decorating avoid letting the water. Less than 2 hours both environmentally kind choices improving your curb appeal, which then improves your home solution second. And we ’ ll show you how to clean vinyl siding cleaning formulas and!, that from then on, and do not over reach you work on sections... Of Purdue University with a garden hand-pump sprayer use general-purpose vinyl siding involves your choice of cleaning solutions mold mildew... Not, you can not prevent over-spray, your best bet would be to test it in an that! Exterior of your home few of the house moist and the vinyl siding read on i. Than 2 hours are cleaning vinyl siding with bleach and dawn a few of the first things people notice when they pull up to your is... Between wetting, spraying, and do not use cleaners containing abrasive,! Find that a two gallon sprayer is a fairly easy job, and ’... Well, that from then on, and we ’ ll show the!