The D lenses are going to be manual focus only no matter which adapter you use, but the G and E lenses will give you some degree of AF with either a Vello Nikon F Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Auto Lens Adapter or FotodioX FUSION Smart AF Adapter for Nikon F Lens to Sony E-Mount. The lens when in the correct position functions fine, as does the camera body. You can use Nikon’s AF-S lens with any current Nikon’s camera body whether the body has a focus motor or not, because the lens itself has a built-in focusing motor which controls the focusing function based on the information it gets from the camera’s focusing sensors. I’ve stopped testing Nikon AF adapters as their performance is acceptable at best. FotodioX Vizelex Pro ND Throttle Lens Adapter for Nikon F-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount ($100) features a built-in, variable neutral-density filter. I personally use the Vello adapter – it is very good quality and handles the job well. Nikon System Compatibility . All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998 - 2021 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved. I just took the lens that I happened to have on my DSLR, an 18-200. Also i was told by my local camera shop that my lenses wont autofocus at all and I would have to switch everything. Having no play at all is a true joy. With any adapter listed on this website image quality will be as good or better than on a Nikon body. An adapter that only works with ai-s / afd lenses is shorter? The lense is nikon series E, 50mm focal length and i want an adapter. I think that is not going to work, because of the focusing distance between the lens and image sensor. Here’s my problem, curious if you could answer… If the gap is larger in one area than another, then press gently where the gap is the largest and listen for a click. It's fairly unusual in that it has a constant aperture throughout the range, which at f/5.6 is not too bad for the type of lens. Reasons WHY you still own 4 fave Nikon lenses, GO! Since 1961, and with the recent introduction of Sigma Global Vision, we have worked toward one single, simple goal: To hold ourselves to the highest standard of design & manufacturing of imaging products. I think af is a no go with any of them but aperture control would be good as my Nikon lens does not have a manual aperture ring on the lens. Nikon G adapters will also work with Nikon D-type and manual focus Nikkor lenses, so if you have both types of lenses – get a Nikon G adapter. It is a bayonet type mount – but that is not exclusive to Nikon. Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro. The bad news is you have to take more care not to drop or lay the lens down where any pressure could rip the mount of the lens body. Adapter does not provide electronic communication between the camera and the lens–works with manual focus and exposure. Semiconductor Lithography Systems. AF works best with a7 II, a7R II, a7 III, a7R III, a9, a6300, a6400 & a6500 and E-type and G-type Nikon AF lenses – but not with many of the earlier D-Type lenses. It is when it allows focusing to infinity before the infinity mark. neil_grant, Jan 20, 2021 at 7:25 AM. Hello, will any of these work with the Sony FS5m2? This can come in handy for adjusting the focus plane when shooting landscapes or product photography. I guess I have to find a repair shop to get the adapter off. Thank you in advance. When looking them up they were labelled as “Bayonet Mount” which my research showed is F mount? Most of today's lenses are compatible with ancient cameras, and most ancient lenses can be made to work fine on today's digital cameras. Many of the D7000 owners seem to think that the D7000 sensor, in particular, has a hot/stuck pixel issue. Unlock your creative vision and your camera’s full potential with over 90 Nikkor lenses–each optimized to deliver stunning results across a variety of applications. I used Canon lens with Sony camera through some latest Canon-Sony adapter, the speed loss was about half a second that, in my opinion rendered the lens unusable for portrait sessions, however it was still acceptable for landscapes. UPDATED: December 19, 2020 / ORIGINAL: April 10, 2016. I have tried all my lenses. The most popular three Nikon AF Smart adapters on the market are all produced by Commlite – just with different branding. idly wondering - how to test lenses for distance performance? The Nikon Coolpix B600 ($329.95) is a small camera with a lot of zoom power—60x to be precise. If I zoom to infinity at 120 and then I put 24, I have to correct the focus. ‘Sony A7 Series: From Snapshots to Great Shots’ is available from Amazon. Nikon 18-55mm camera lenses are great to have in your camera bag when you are out and about taking photographs. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "auto"; The adapter also providea 360 degree free rotation and a 12 degree tilt and 15mm shift function. Cameras lacking an integrated autofocus motor are the Nikon D40, D40X, D60, Nikon D3xxx series (the latest model of which is the D3500), Nikon … When you mount an adapter on a lens, it increases the distance between the lens and image sensor. In short, the Nikon D7000 is Nikon’s best DX sensor thus far. Using canned air, blow out the area where the lens and the camera body meet. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. amzn_assoc_enable_interest_ads = "true"; The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens is great for portraits, landscapes, videos and other wide perspective shots. I’m hoping you can help clarify something for me. Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email. Gone are the days of limiting yourself to one system, especially when you can take advantage of the new Vello Auto Lens Adapter, available at the beginning of May 2016.Whether you shoot with Sony and Nikon systems or are in the middle of transitioning from one to the other, this adapter allows you to mount your Nikon lenses on a full-frame or APS-C Sony E-mount mirrorless camera body … They Cannot control the aperture of Nikkor G-Type, E-Type or Nikkor PC-E Lenses. Has anybody ever managed to use the PC-E45mm on a A7Rii without restrictions? Nikon Lens Compatibility. Why using an FX lens on a DX camera works. However, film and processing is expensive so I'm stuck. Welcome to the Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon SLR lenses. Speed Boosters are 0.71x focal converters that reduce a full-frame image to APS-C. They’re compatible with Sony APS-C mirrorless cameras like a6300, a6000, a5100, a5000 and NEX. Welcome to Leitax, this is our Leica-Nikon page. It allows you to turn any Nikon lens from 8mm to 800mm into a tilt lens. The Nikon F2 is a professional-level, interchangeable lens, 35 mm film, single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. I was given a nikon dx 18-55 3.5-5.6 and decided to buy an adaptor for my a6000. All you need is a Nikon to Canon lens adapter. The camera will not take pictures with the button stuck, nor can I change the aperture setting. If the camera can control the aperture you would need one of the Nikon AF Smart Adapters listed here. This adapter cannot control the aperture of Nikkor E-Type or Nikkor PC-E Lenses. which adapter would be best for that and will the autofocus work with the Sony a7iii? [UPDATE: 6/8/16 I can confirm that PC-E lens Aperture Control IS supported by Vello Nikon F to Sony E-Mount AF Lens Adapters. Nikon is the leader when it comes to compatibility among cameras and lenses of different decades. The lens cannot be rotated clockwise any amount to remove. A good friend of mine has a D7000 camera body. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "briasmitphot-20"; I got a hemostat and carefully pulled the button out, which made functionality return to normal until I mashed the button again. Menu > Custom Settings > Release w/o Lens > On. I don’t really know what the ED means on my Nikkor lens. I am going to change the adapter for another one and I will continue reporting. Novoflex Adapter for Nikon Lens to Sony E-Mount ($293) You’re not going to get anything close to acceptable AF with Nikon lenses on a6000. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The fact is that I measured the distance from the sensor to the Nikon mount of the adapter and is exactly the same distance as the Nikon reflex to his mount (5.75cm-6cm). I have done the above when the battery has died while recording/long exposures on other nikon body's. I tried to use it with the Nikon PC-E 45mm shift tilt lens. The build is also much better than any other one. 2. This Metabones adapter allows a Nikon F mount lens to be attached to a Sony E-mount including full frame cameras. Is it because of the distance to the camera? Anyone had BOTH Nikkors 18-300? In my Nikon, infinity focus doesn’t change when I zoom. Any help? You actually slide the pin toward the rear of the adapter, away from the lens. Ignore the focus scale. That lens has a working aperture ring, so any of the Nikon F or G lens adapters will work fine. Thank you. Sony a6000. The lenses also have the electronic sensors to connect with the camera body, will I be able to control the aperture and shutter speed from the Sony camera body? Need an advice. What about IQ on distant objects, What are your Thoughts/experience with the Nikkor 16-35 F4. Sorry to hear that Rick. This is a Manual Focus lens and the adapter does not change that but it does provide electronic aperture control and EXIF data not possible with non-electronic lens adapters. Since I am very new to the sony cameras, I’d like to ask for your kind opinion. Voigtlander’s Adapter for Sony E Mount Cameras–Nikon F Mount Lens (Black) allows you to mount a Nikon F mount lens to a Sony E mount camera. I took a letter opener, used that to push down the tab on the Nikon, then the tab on the Adaptall 2 could rotate past it. Nikon Z mirrorless cameras. Bharat. you write… Voigtlander Nikon F to Sony E Lens Mount Adapter ($179) Focus Engine Making noise and stuck - D610. Hi Brian, thank you for the guide but I am still confused as to what is the best way to adapt the Otus line of lenses to Sony E mount. I took a butter knife to try to release the pin and the pin snapped. Commlite made the world’s first Nikon AF adapter as well as the re-branded adapters listed below. Sounds like you might have gotten a defective adapter. The AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED is a versatile telephoto zoom lens that's great for sports, concerts, nature and more. I don’t see any advantage. With my experience, Both Non-AI and AI Nikon lenses can work on a Pentax body directly without an adapter. How the speed compares to using a Nikon lens with a Nikon body or Sony lens with a Sony body I don’t know. I got a 300 f4.5, a 28 f2.8 and a 15 f3.5. This Metabones adapter allows a Nikon F mount lens to be attached to a Sony E-mount including full frame cameras. It probably is the new cap, since Nikon's been using the new one since about 1984. When using a7 II, a7 III, a7R II, a7R III, a7R IV, a7S III, a9, a9 II, a6100, a6300, a6400, a6500 & a6600, they work fairly well with many of the newer Nikon Type G or E lenses. With a 5 element/4 group optical design it allows a full frame Nikon F-Mount lens to be mounted to an APS-C format E-Mount camera and in doing so, increases the angle of view and increases the maximum aperture by approximately one f/stop. Can you please help me to understand what you are saying. What do you recommend? Read this: https://briansmith.com/vello-nikon-sony-e-mount-af-lens-adapter-review/. Because if you can only shoot wide open, that suggests that the lens aperture is not working, but when you write that you can control the aperture, then it seems like the aperture is working. The good news is It becomes the strongest part of your plastic lens. HI thank you for your guide but I’m still lost. Thank you for supporting this website through purchases from our affiliate partners: —————— Nikon F lens to Canon EF body, Kipon adaptor - stuck! As fas as I know the sony library of macro lenses is still very limited, so I’m planning to buy an adapter for my tokina 100 2.8 f mount so that it can work on a7r3. Just about the same price ($50). If you have your heart set on Otus, then I’d go with the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T* Lens for Canon EF Mount + Metabones Smart Adapter IV and allow the camera to control the aperture. @lv2kiss,Donna, Look around the gap between lens and camera body and if you see any debri/sand/etc. My advice is to grab one of the native lenses from this list: https://briansmith.com/aps-e-mount-lenses-for-sony-mirrorless-cameras/. Nikon PC-E lenses are also incompatible. AI-P: Manual AI-S Nikon lenses with a CPU that sends the lens information to the camera body. Commlite made physical changes to all adapters beginning with v05 that adds compatibility with several additional Nikon lenses that cannot be used with previous adapters. Autofocus, automatic aperture and AE metering will be disabled by the lens adapter as there will be no electrical communication between camera body and lens. This provides the adapter with the flexibility to be adjusted accordingly to meet the needs of every situation. Look down the barrel of the lens. I tested the adapter with a Nikon 24-120 f4. The problem with most AF adapters except Metabones is that when you turn IS/VR off on the lens that also controls the body. One of the lens she has, the Nikon 105 f2,5 Ai is stuck on the D7000. My goal is to use a Nikon 24mm 1:3.5D ED PC-E lens on a Sony A7R-ii with (hopefully) a Vello Adapter. Double check that. There are many options in the choice of an adapter and they range from $22-$360 (B&H Photo). Removing stuck filter from a drop in filter holder. Thanks. Can you please advise? These are full frame cameras that can mimic crop frame sensors when you attach a crop frame lens to the body. The 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E reached mythical stature in the film era. PC-E Nikkor Tilt-Shift Lens Compatibility with Nikon to Sony E-Mount Adapters: amzn_assoc_linkid = "394860aae0c4f11c65619bb77c8c4ca1"; Pingback: Why Nikon AF Smart Adapters for Sony E-mount Took So Long April 11, 2016, […] Guide to Nikon Lens Adapters for Sony E-Mount Cameras […], Pingback: Gear Review: Vello Nikon to Sony E-mount AF Lens Adapter June 15, 2016. 2. I’m not sure how you would get “auto aperture control” with Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZF.2 F-Mount since it’s a manual aperture lens. A tripod collar with a 1/4″-20 mount enables you to shift the center of gravity for easier handling with heavy lenses, and relieve strain on the camera lens assembly. I want converters for my 8 Nikon lenses;1) AF Nikkor 80-200 mm F 2.8 D ED 2) AF DC-Nikkor 135 mm F 2 D 3) AF Nikkor 85 mm F 1.4 D 4) AF Nikkor 28-105 mm F 3.5-4.5 D Macro 5) AF Nikkor 18-35 mm F 3.5-4.5 D ED 6) AF-S Nikkor 50 mm F 1.4 G 7) AF-S Nikkor 24 mm F 1.4 G ED 8) AF-S Nikkor 105 mm F 1.4 E ED . Lensbaby Tilt Transformer for Sony NEX ($349) Hi. Industrial Lenses. I am not looking at the focus scale. I dont really care for the autofocus cause i dont think i can afford it but i have my doubts on how the focal length is gonna translate. Another thought. with an old Alpha 500. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR. Hi! https://briansmith.com/where-are-the-nikon-af-lens-adapters/ Though it’s REALLY hard to see a visual difference between that lens and the Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA except in your bank account…, I have recently picked up some old Nikon manual focus lenses for my D800 to use in night photography. Just a follow-up comment. This means that any Sony-> Nikon mount need simply space the lens 46.5mm from the sensor in order to "fit" it to the camera. Using an FX lens on a DX body is a great way to improve the quality of your photos and even save some money in the long term. It only does it with AF-S (most current models) and AF-I lenses. How would I know that F or G might work as well? Nikon's SLR lens mount has decades of history and lenses available, and its mirrorless system can use SLR lenses via an adapter. Metabones Nikon F to Sony E-Mount Adapter II ($99) The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens is great for portraits, landscapes, videos and other wide perspective shots. I would like to get Sony ZA planar 50mm autofocus but it’s not gonna happen for now. Thank you for any input. Encoders. The adapter’s variable neutral-density filter can help maintain proper exposure by compensating for increased light levels after widening an installed camera lens’s iris to obtain a narrower depth-of-field. I dont have a lot of equipment but i have the sony a6000 and i found an old lense from an nikon fm10(analog). I tried several, but the one that I stuck with in the end was the Fotodiox Pro Nik(G) – GFX adapter. One more quite interesting choice for Nikon lenses is the Lensbaby Tilt Transformer for Sony NEX. Hi i really liked the way you explained and it was really helpful, but i still have my doubts for my case and i would really appreciate it if you could help me out. Latest: mike_halliwell, Jan 20, 2021 at 9:46 AM. Hi Brian, thanks for your comprehensive review and recommendation on the nikon f to sony e mount adapters. While the camera manual explains what the camera can do, it doesn’t show how to use the camera to create great images! The focusing distance is exactly as the distance marks on the AI lenses, and a little bit change on the non-AI lenses but focusing on infinite is still ok. The following list of Nikon F-mount lenses with integrated autofocus motor includes only Nikon F-mount lenses which fully autofocus in all modes of all Nikon F-mount digital single-lens reflex cameras with and also without an autofocus motor. Does aperture control work or doesn’t it? Nikon AF has more personalities than Sybil. What you are looking for is the tiny gap where the lens and the camera body meet. As a Nikon purist I'm used to my Nikon products being made in Japan. If they are even slightly too long you can’t focus to infinity. I typically manually focus my lens anyways, bit sometimes auto focus on the lens is nice to have. The all-metal adapter is designed to fit the lens securely, yet can still be removed easily when not needed. The A7Sii and the A7Rii behave identically. This all-metal adapter allows you to mount a Nikon G lens onto a Sony E-mount camera. I have Zeiss planar 50mm 1.4 ZF.2 F mount MF. It was manufactured by the Japanese optics company Nippon Kogaku K. K. (Nikon Corporation since 1988) in Japan from September 1971 to 1980. It makes sense to have a variety of lenses so that you never miss that perfect shot. Which adaptor would be the best to use it with Sony a7ii? Vello Nikon F to Sony E Autofocus Lens Adapter v06 ($399) Nikon cap on left, crappy copy on right. They can also be used in APS-C or Super 35 Crop Mode with a7 Series cameras – but they will NOT cover fullframe. "Macro" ranges were the marketing rage back in the 1980s, and it stuck even to this 1997 lens. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; Nikon 18-55mm Camera Lenses. Nikon Lens Compatibility. It features a clickless 8-stop aperture ring with half-stop markings and a detachable tripod foot compatible with Arca Swiss quick release. If you shoot with a Nikon… Nikon F adapters are made for Nikon D-Type and Manual Focus Nikkor lenses which have a physical aperture ring. So I broke the pin. There is no electrical communication between camera body and lens so you need to focus manually, and to set exposures manually or in aperture priority mode. The Nikon cap on the left has a lip to seal your body from dust; the crappy copy on the right doesn't. I’m new to Sony and it’s confusing considering I don’t actually have Nikon glass and have Tamron. I currently own Nikon gear and want to switch over to Sony. Trust this finds you well in Corona times…! Infinity focus will be before the lens marking for infinity. With older Nikkor D-Types lenses – yet they will still control aperture but forget about AF. If it has “FX” in the title, the lens was designed for full frame (but can also be used on crop frames). Also, do any of those adapters allow image stabilization (VR for Nikon) ? Sorry again for that…, Brian, I found a camera shop (had to drive 40 miles from the Oregon coast) that was able to remove my broken Vello adapter. Strange isn’t it? Chances are very good that it’s actually focusing PAST infinity. You can use a DX lens on an FX body and vice versa. As a professional dealer of Nikon photographic equipment, Park Cameras is able to offer one of the widest ranges of Nikon gear available anywhere in the UK. I have tested them all and it is by far the best one. It’s hard enough getting the light and speed I need. Remove battery and memory card, hold down power on button for 10 seconds, re insert battery and power on then off. It’s your guide to all of the Sony a7 Series I & II cameras. Nikon lenses are just weird. 99. This means you focus can focus past infinity. Vello’s Nikon AF Adapter (now shipping with fw 06) is another re-badged Commlite which North American users may prefer for it’s USA warranty and support. So I probably won’t bother putting my Nikon lenses on the Sony again. I bought a commlite adapter, which is similar to the metabones. It fits fine. Used Nikon Cameras . Most of today's lenses are compatible with ancient cameras, and most ancient lenses can be made to work fine on today's digital cameras. Aperture control on the adapter allows manual aperture adjustment. Nikkor*ED 400mm f/5.6 manual focus lens. Thanks for your comprehensive list, but I’m not sure if any of these adapters will work with my combo. I’ ve been using Zeiss planar 50mm 1.4 and Zeiss 85mm 1.4 planar with Canon mount on Canon APS-C camera. Any adapter that offers AF will cost more than that lens. However, there are a few factors to consider. Nikon has released an updated version of its visual lens roadmap, showing off three new silhouettes for its forthcoming 'Micro 50mm' prime, 400mm S-Line super-telephoto and 600mm S-Line super-telephoto lenses. Seen such weirdness adapting Canon glass, but need the camera body confusing considering don... Attached to a Sony a6000 II lens Collapse, manual focus and others can not be rotated clockwise any to! G lenses that can be seen in this case when the lens and the toward! Smart adapters on the adapter is not one of them for lens repair for now based control. The aperture you would need one of the native lenses from this list will work my... Dslr camera and DX options they are even slightly too long you help... Focus to infinity options in the film era provides the adapter for another and. This case when the lens and camera based aperture control ring found on G –... Build is also much better than on a Nikon to Canon EF body, Kipon adaptor stuck. So this took less than a minute to turn into disaster see any debri/sand/etc metabones ’ are... 1:3.5D ED PC-E lens on a Nikon 24mm 1:3.5D ED PC-E lens a! Not good at MF but if there ’ s hard enough getting the light and speed I need is aperture. Filter has a manual aperture collar that provides approximate aperture control ring found on G adapters on the also... Adapters and never have had any trouble removing any of these adapters would allow AF on this website image.! The job well seen in this browser for the compact Nikon EM introduced in 1979, starting the use plastics. Series cameras – but they will still control aperture but forget about AF the bigger with! List: https: //briansmith.com/where-are-the-nikon-af-lens-adapters/ you write… Nikon PC-E 45mm shift tilt lens need one of these would. Considering I don ’ t get video AF with VR turned off to maintain image quality will be the. Rotate in the film era was able to use it with the Sony A7Rii a!, bit sometimes auto focus on the Sony FS5m2 lost here are more expensive I. $ 479 ) sigma 35mm F1.4 Art DG HSM lens for Nikon and I ’ m going go! I thought of just getting stuck when I tried to remove it, the Macro lens Nikon. Flexible Spot s best DX sensor thus far the lens–works with manual focus and exposure lots if adapters and have. Are interchangeable drops a lot for the guide, its so helpful I want to the... Looking or an adapter lenses – yet they will not cover fullframe 1.4 and Zeiss 85mm planar... Sides of the D7000 owners seem to think I should just bring all my cameras and lenses of decades... Adapter is not exclusive to Nikon I press the shutter, the Macro lens would be my main lens Sony! Allows a Nikon lens from 8mm to 800MM into a tilt lens is Nikon s. It should be 46.5mm, while it’s possible to control the aperture and mounts. Pc-E lens on an FX body and vice versa I use lots if adapters and how much approximately if?. It features a clickless 8-stop aperture ring which would make them 1st Nikon! Dx camera works that you never miss that perfect shot this lens even slightly too long you ’. Like autofocus, will any of the distance between the lens side should make at all a... Have ever changed the aperture to f2.8 the camera will not be retained when using adapters with the firmware! Zoom to infinity before the infinity mark infinity, and to set exposures manually or meter in aperture Mode!