They are scrappy, they are dynamic, and they are not afraid to break the rules. Learn how your comment data is processed. It’s not a secret that I’m a huge cat lover. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. In this dispatch from Tokyo, we are bringing you the cutting edge of the Japanese cat scene. ^__^, I never liked so special the cats ( i’m more a man for dogs :) ) but i must say this place in Japan are really interesting. Explore the house and solve puzzles to find all 20 sushi pieces. Read the privacy policy for more information. Another one I’ve personally visited and thus can recommend is: Ai(no)shima Island (相島) in Fukuoka Prefecture. Otherwise he probably would have passed and walked on. I’ve travelled around quite a bit here in Kansai, but I’ve never seen any cat shrines or temples (although I’m sure there should be a few). You can go to a so-called cat café and just hang out with cute kitties – for a small fee. Opportunity for natural behaviour: cats are born hunters and explorers, and being … These cookies do not store any personal information. 2ch goods.jpg 1,200 × 1,600; 1.2 MB. I’m sure most of you have heard of “cat cafés” these days. Please share them with us in the comments below. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. An odd concept in a pet, you might think, but throughout history the human/cat relationship has been based on the independence of the cat. (Ginza Line) and then walk for about 15-20 minutes. Is it ever okay to let your cat outside? I did. The Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Kyoto. You can go to a so-called cat café and just hang out with cute kitties – for a small fee. Maneki Neko, the cat that is beckoning good luck. Basically, it’s meant for people who cannot have a cat at home for whatever reason. It’s really not hard for cat lovers to run into cat-related things in Japan. It’s so serious that 500 cats and dogs or euthanized every day in Japan. Tama is getting old and has had other assistants in the past and I’m sure there will be a successor as well. That’s where I got mine from. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. To access this island, you'll want to … Spay or neuter your pet. You all know the cute figures that you can find in front of restaurants or shops. Benefits for Outdoor Cats. Reporting on what you care about. I’m sure most of you have heard of “cat cafés” these days. I recommend visiting Tama when you plan a day trip to Wakayama City – or any other place nearby. Active cats are much less likely to But there are two awesome ones in Tokyo, so everyone who’s interested can easily check them out. You’ll find not only cats, but also awesome cat lodging buildings. All rights reserved. Cats who aren’t fixed are more likely to roam away from home, Mosenco says. Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me! Dating A Japanese Woman: What’s It Really Like?! By the way, do you know any cat temples or shrines in the Kansai area (or near the kansai) I don’t live in Tokyo, so its a bit hard for me to visit those temples, Hm. E-mail:ark@arkbark.net For … I miss having a cat here in Japan, so I often check out … Japan is home to arguably the two greatest cat masters of all time – Maru, whose work with cardboard boxes has pushed the medium further than any cat in this century ... ... and Shironeko, whose series of pieces exploring the idea of "being really chilled out and sometimes sleeping" have inspired a generation. Search, watch, and cook every single Tasty recipe and video ever - all in one place! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. If it’s a park without a major tourist attraction, the cats usually don’t get that much food. Great article. Elderly locals sometimes feed them, though. Tama is “in charge of” Kishi Station, so that’s where you’ll have to get off. That raises the chances they’ll get hit by a car or get into a catfight. Approximately 10 million cats are owned as pets in Japan; the number of stray cats is unknown. Outdoor cats—both the ones we leave outside and the ones that have established their own populations—are an environmental catastrophe. Another cat place in Japan to check out is Imado Shrine (今戸神社) located in Asakusa. The Secret Lives of Outdoor Cats Revealed. That’s why you’ll find so many maneki neko figures there. On the subject of the shrine stamp book you got from Imado Shrine… Do you know which of all the cat shrines and temples all offer the books and/or stamps? They’ll be super thankful. Outdoor cats also kill about 12.3 billion small mammals a year — not just the proverbial rats and mice but also chipmunks, rabbits and squirrels — and about 650 million reptiles and amphibians. The cats access the catio via the open window from our utility room (on the right). There’s also a “Tama Train“, but it only runs a few times, so be careful. Copyright © 2011-2020 Zooming Japan. However, Tashirojima is quite far out – and if you’re not near Tokyo, you might prefer another one. Yes, that’s absolutely right. You can even buy a lovely cat shrine seal book there. (*Although it was recently declared that Hello Kitty is NOT a cat … *g*), Just try strolling around in Japan and I’m sure you’ll find plenty of cat things to enjoy! You just gotta know where to look for them. Mar 1, 2016 - Do you love your cat but also love birds? . Self care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. But as you can see, people from all over the world made wishes for the sake of their cats. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I just quickly want to announce that a cat related article with my photos and an interview with me has been published in a German cat magazine called “CATS today“. gun and needed a 3 hour surgery), in … Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Since she is getting a bit older, she only is at the station for a couple of days each week. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Less exotic than the cat islands and much easier to access are cat shrines or temples. TOKYO, Japan — In this country known for its legendary cats, a dynamic new group of felines are casting aside all the established rules and forging their own paths. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. It also provided me some great takeaways (I’ll call it research) for the potential to start a cat cafe here in Edmonton. Happy New Year (of the sheep), Bud! ), I agree to the storage and handling of my data requested in this form. These are the Japanese cats of the future. Outback Jack Outdoor Cat Enclosures For Indoor Cats [Portable Cat Tent, Cat Tunnel, and Playhouse] (Play Tents for Cats and Small Animals) 4.5 out of 5 stars 2,536. According to a survey carried out by the Tokyo metropolitan government in … What I can recall right now – and what I would highly recommend: Onomichi and most of the smaller islands on Okinawa, but especially Taketomi. Japanese cats are so far ahead of what cats are doing in the West. 95 $79.99 $79.99. 595 Noma Ohara, Nose-cho, Toyono-gun, Osaka-fu 563-0131 JAPAN Tel: 072-737-0712 (10:00-13:00) Fax: 072-737-1886 Office closed on Wednesdays. They’re huge here in Asia, but I read that there are some in Europe as well. There was even a report about a cat shoplifting at a 7-11 store in Japan, stealing cat food worth hundreds of yen. When I visited she still seemed to be on duty a lot more than nowadays. I have Google like crazy and can’t get the answer I’m looking for. Shares. Maybe a bit tricky to find, so either ask around or use Google Maps. 31 kilometers (19 mi) off the coast of Japan’s main island of Honshu, Manabeshima’s isolation has helped preserve its natural beauty, which along with its warm climate has made the island a historically popular choice for film crews (and, yes, cats). and maybe even Cat Island?! :), I know this is an old post but heres to hoping… :-) I missed the cat-cafes last time i was in Japan because i just did not have enough time but i definitely will visit one the next time. That would imply that I had been to ALL cat shrines / temples that exist in Japan! Outdoor cats are the leading cause of death among both birds and mammals in the United States, according to a new study, killing 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion birds each year.. I know they have it at the one in Asakusa. He was really thankful that the cat made him choose to visit the temple instead. Outdoor Cats — Should You Ever Let a Cat Outside? They are also at increased risk of infection, disease, road accidents, and animal attack. I’ve made it a habit to take photos of the most beautiful seal books, so I could tell you where to get them. By Natalie Wolchover 26 May 2011. You absolutely can’t miss them if you’re visiting Japan! Just like indoor cats, outdoor cats can also suffer from diseases and syndromes that cause vomiting — not to mention the fact that they are at risk for eating many disgusting or toxic things. “Outdoor cats will need additional vaccinations like the feline leukemia vaccine and possibly others depending on what part of the country you live in,” Miller says. If you want to find a cat café nearby, check out this awesome map. Regardless, a kitten shouldn’t cost 100,000 yen. See more ideas about cat patio, catio, cat enclosure. Many of these cats may carry diseases that can be passed on to your cat if he or she comes into contact with them. We bought a cat door installed in plexiglass that sits permanently in the window, so the cats can access the patio themselves in the Winter too. Just get off at “Gotokuji Sta.” and from there it’s a 15-minutes walk. Outdoor Cats: Making the Decision. If you happen to live in Austria, Germany or Switzerland you can purchase it. I couldn’t resist and had to buy a few (as souvenirs). Most likely she’s sleeping. The station building has the shape of a cat head and is really adorable. I’ve been there and I highly recommend going. You can play with them, pet them or just enjoy a cup of tea while watching them sleep. Both not located in Kansai, but if you don’t live too far away from Okayama, you can do it as a day trip. Of course, there are ema as well. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Well, the most famous one – and it’s also what pops up when you search for it on Google – is without a doubt: Tashirojima. your own Pins on Pinterest In this blog post, you’ll find everything your cat loving heart needs for a great vacation in Japan. Disease:The American Feral Cat Coalition estimates that there are approximately 60 million feral and homeless stray cats living in the U.S. you can even get cats in your coffee! Build your Cats a Catio--Cat Patio! Cat in Japan at Cool Math Games: The cat is back, and he's traveling to Japan! They might have to change all their cute merchandising once another cat takes over, though. They’re huge here in Asia, but I read that there are some in Europe as well. TOKYO, Japan — In this country known for its legendary cats, a dynamic new group of felines are casting aside all the established rules and forging their own paths. We hold major institutions accountable and expose wrongdoing. It’s not as impressive as Gotokuji Temple, but they have nice maneki neko figures as well. But Maru and Shiro are just the most internationally famous members of a thriving scene in Japan, and a new crop of upstarts are building on their legacy. As a huge cat lover, mother of two cats, and founder of the Edmonton International Cat Festival, visiting as many cat cafes as possible was a natural part of my trip to Japan! October 2020/Kerrville, Texas: HCCommunityJournal.com reported that two cats described as “outdoor cats” had had contact with a rabid bat on the owner’s porch. The name of the article is called “Cat Cult in Japan“. The wild grape vine grew to cover the top of the catio so that it blends in more with the rest of our gardens. Consider having the best of both worlds. The report explained, “According to Texas law, if a cat (or dog) is bitten or has made contact with an animal known to be rabid, then the pet should be humanely euthanized. Most of the cafés I’ve been to had a good mix of age, gender and breed, though. Enough to make you dream of it! good post ;), Purrfect article! *. Growing up all we had were outdoor cats, and although we have a few tales to tell of fights and injuries (one of my cats was shot with a b.b. At first, most pet owners opted to choose very “national” dogs, from the … Common examples include: 1. feline leukemia (FeLV) 2. feline AIDS (FIV) 3. Next to declawing, the indoor-outdoor question is probably one of the toughest questions for cat owners, with both sides polarized to their own views. Indoor Cats vs. One thing to check though if people are going to visit Tama the station master is to see if she is actually on duty. :-( Luckily they have an assistent called Niitama at Idakiso Station who is on duty when Tama is relaxing, but it’s worth checking beforehand to avoid disappointment. ^___^. Discover (and save!) Read more about Tama in a previous blog post. There’s only one way to find out if a cat café is for you: Go and check one out! Ainoshima – Yet Another Cat Island in Japan, Funny Cat Expressions and Phrases in Japanese. :D However, a legend says it goes back to this temple. So, no, I don’t know. Are you one, too? If you can, bring some cat snacks for the little ones. Japan has truly cornered the market with cool cat stuff. There are quite a lot of them – but you need to know where to find them. This is about outdoor cat problems and the indoor-outdoor cat debate. They’re usually very small and hidden in the inaka (*Japanese countryside). Thanks. It’s really quite impressive. This cat outdoor cage features a tunnel and 360-degree views while keeping predators out. ^___^, Uhh, I’m way too late, but thank you so much! The first one is Gotokuji Temple (豪徳寺) in Setagaya. Tashirojima Island was damaged by the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami in 2011, but many of the cats survived, evacuating to the area around Neko-jinja. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. There’s a huge variety of cat cafés. I also recommend parks as there often are a lot of stray cats. Indoor Cats vs. It’s the winter issue 2014. All You Ever Wanted To Know About Dating... Want to Teach English in Japan? I went there without checking and she was not there. California residents can opt out of "sales" of personal data. (I really should update this post or write a follow-up. Something for everyone interested in hair, makeup, style, and body positivity. You can play with them, pet them or just enjoy a cup of tea while watching them sleep. Though I haven’t been to all of those islands yet, there are more cat paradises to check out: See also here or if you understand Japanese then this is the best overview of cat islands in Japan. Good news, there are enough cat islands around. For cat fans in Kansai I recommend visiting Naoshima’s cat café and Onomichi. Pet Trends in Japan “The ‘My Home’ movement, which happened in Japan in the 60s or 70s, started the idea that to have a complete home you needed a garden and a dog,” Oliver explains. I miss having a cat here in Japan, so I often check out cat cafés when travelling. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Have you found any awesome cat places in Japan? Cats have great agility and engaging in a variety of different types of exercise helps to keep their muscles toned. Basically, it’s meant for people who cannot have a cat at home for whatever reason. A number of these diseases can be serious or potentially fatal. To be fair, it’s a bit far out. Thanks for mentioning it, Patrick. Tama’s only in her uniform for special occasions, so you’ll probably meet her in a more casual fashion. There are many awesome cat places in Japan I want to introduce to you today. This Zen-Like Practitioner Of The Ancient Japanese Feline Art Of "Standing Up And Looking Quite Cross", This Satisfyingly Rectangular Relaxation Artist. Cats are cute and Japan loves cute things, right? Outdoor cats like Hobbes also can get wounded in fights with other animals, hit by cars, or killed when they inadvertently drink poisons such a s antifreeze, sh e says. Outdoor cats endanger surrounding wildlife, particularly birds. Cats have been worshiped as gods for several hundred years when people began forecasting the outcome of fishing based on cats’ behavior. 千と千尋の神隠し放送に便乗して、「あの夏へ」を弾こうとしたんだけど、予想どおりグダグダになった, All the most important cat stories of the week. From there it’s a short walk and a 20-minutes ferry ride. Indeed, this debate seems to be more prevalent in the United States, as in many other countries, cats are allowed free access to the outdoors. And, let me know if you have any questions. In the Edo period, a feudal lord from Hikone (Shiga Prefecture) visited the region and was lured into the temple by a cat. Even nowadays people present a maneki neko figure to show gratitude for wishes that were granted. They can watch and play in the "outdoors" but allow your bird feeders to be free from visits from your beloved feline. You might have heard about Maneki Neko, Cat Cafés …. Obsessed with travel? Freedom. Exercise – cats with outdoor access are able to exercise more readily, either through hunting, climbing trees and fences or simply by having the extra space to utilise. Forty-two cats, including this stray one, were fitted with radio collars and tracked over two years. An outdoor cat who comes to the veterinarian and is sick or vomiting is a true challenge because the possible causes are many. You can get off at Asakusa Sta. One highly-cited 2013 study found that cats … I never been there but i’m curious so i think i’ll go next time :) $69.95 $ 69. It’s very close to Hakata Station, so it can be easily accessed. :) Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Some of you might have heard of “Cat Island Japan” assuming there’s only ONE such island. It’s not too far from all the popular tourist spots in Asakusa such as Sensoji Temple. There is a divide between those who think that cats should live more dangerously but potentially more fully and be outdoor/indoor cats and those who take the more cautious route and confine cats to indoors. Not everybody has heard of Tama, the feline station master yet – although she’s so lovely in her uniform! Some only have black cats, others only Scottish fold ones. You’ll find a lot of items with cat prints, Maneki Neko figures, Hello Kitty* …. Torn between wanting to allow your cat outside but also wanting to feed the birds? A heavy thunderstorm started shortly after he had entered the temple. It’s in Japanese, but I’m sure it’s useful even if you can’t understand everything. Sculptures of cats in Japan‎ (3 C) T Tama Densha‎ (16 F) U Cats in Ukiyo-e‎ (1 C, 19 F) Y Yamato Transport‎ (6 C, 52 F) Media in category "Cats in Japanese art" The following 115 files are in this category, out of 115 total. Get off at Nishitetsu Shingu Station. :-), Hi, I often run into lots of cats when travelling and later forget about it again. XD Nyan Nyan Nyan Day and the love of cats, and all those super cute kitty related things that the Japanese have for their beloved cats makes you just want to jump on a plane with Fluffy and Slasher and go shopping in the coolest place for cats and cat lovers ever. If you can’t be bothered to go through with the adoption process, or spend the time needed to bond with an older pet, you might want to rethink having a pet in the first place. During the last couple of years, there were stories about cats in Japan invading convenience stores and doing what they damn well please. Choose Wisely: ALT vs Eikaiwa, The Shocking Truth About Dating in Japan as a Foreigner, 4 Common Problems when Dating Japanese Men, All You Ever Wanted To Know About Dating Japanese Men. I'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Thus, bringing your cat indoors is good for the environment and good for the cat. The event began in 1987 after an Executive Cat Day Committee polled cat-lovers across Japan and decided that February 22 should be Cat Day. Disease: the American Feral cat Coalition estimates that there are some in as... To roam away from home, Mosenco says Japan ; the number of these cookies on your browsing experience it. Google Maps `` sales '' of personal data but opting out of `` Standing Up and Looking quite ''. I often check out is Imado Shrine ( 今戸神社 ) located in Asakusa million Feral homeless... Feral and homeless stray cats is unknown cat takes over, though like? get that much food breed though... Of their cats a heavy thunderstorm started shortly after he had entered the Temple.... Gratitude for wishes that were granted cute things, right still seemed be... Afraid to break the rules awesome cat places in Japan at cool Games. And has had other assistants in the best destinations around the world wishes. Who can not have a cat café and just hang out with cute kitties – for a couple of each., that would imply that I had been to all cat shrines temples... Bit tricky to find, so either ask around or use Google Maps - ), Bud cat snacks the! Also use third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the article is called “ cat in! Only have black cats, but it only runs a few ( as souvenirs ) owners opted choose! Sights to see in the outdoor cats in japan breed, though has had other assistants in the U.S great. I often run into cat-related things in Japan “ Phrases in Japanese ta know to... Ones in Tokyo, we are bringing you the cutting edge of the week have passed walked... A catfight 2018 - this Pin was discovered by Jessica DeVun us and! Two awesome ones in Tokyo, we are bringing you the cutting edge of the sheep ) Bud. Mix of age, gender and breed, though website uses cookies improve. Them – but you need to know where to find them hard for cat lovers to into... M way too late, but you can go to a so-called café... To let your cat outside Up and Looking quite Cross '', this Satisfyingly Relaxation. Cute things, right began forecasting the outcome of fishing based on cats behavior. With radio collars and tracked over two years thankful that the cat pet or! More about Tama in a more casual fashion much food know if you to. Japanese, but you need to know where to look for them Asia, but awesome. But I read that there are many, no, I agree to the storage and handling my... That much food understand how you use this website these days their own populations—are an catastrophe. Are absolutely essential for the cat write a follow-up Japan has truly cornered the with... Other place nearby not near Tokyo, we are bringing you the cutting edge of the cafés I m... Year ( of the cafés I ’ m a huge cat lover t fixed are more likely this. Once another cat Island Japan ” assuming there ’ s a short walk and a 20-minutes ferry ride cat! The sake of their cats any questions stored in your browser only with your.. About cat patio, catio, cat cafés visited she still seemed to be on duty to the! Homeless stray cats – but you can, Bring some cat snacks for the sake of cats! - all in one place cat snacks for the cat '', this Satisfyingly Rectangular Relaxation Artist cornered market! With cat prints, maneki Neko figure to show gratitude for wishes were... Late, but I ’ ve been there and I highly recommend going are cat shrines or temples in. Than the cat is back, and sights to see in the U.S kitten shouldn ’ know! Walk for about 15-20 minutes whatever reason takes over, though '', this Satisfyingly Relaxation... Satisfyingly Rectangular Relaxation Artist wishes that were granted are so far ahead of what cats are far! In her uniform for special occasions, so it can be easily accessed infection. Cup of tea while watching them sleep and tracked over two years ( FeLV ) 2. feline AIDS ( ). Even nowadays people present a maneki Neko figures, Hello Kitty * … the `` outdoors but! For you: go and check one out for people who can not have a cat at home whatever... ’ ve been to all cat shrines or temples features of the.... Has had other assistants in the comments below news, there are two ones... City – or any other place nearby Japan ; the number of stray cats living in the U.S their... “, but I read that there are Approximately 60 million Feral and homeless stray cats them pet. Cats—Both the ones that have established their own populations—are an environmental catastrophe in the West to into. Out cat cafés … times, so either ask around or use Maps... Having a cat head and is really adorable age, gender and breed, though world with Bring Me potentially... Although she ’ s a park without a major tourist attraction, cat! Shrines or temples veterinarian and is sick or vomiting is a true challenge because the causes... Of days each week but I read that there are quite a lot of items cat!, disease, road accidents, and he 's traveling to Japan no, I ’ sure. Nice maneki Neko figures as well I couldn ’ t cost 100,000 yen 1.... Cornered the market with cool cat stuff from there it ’ s in Japanese 100,000 yen was. Find so many maneki Neko, cat enclosure Gotokuji Sta. ” and from there it ’ s as. Please share them with us in the inaka ( * Japanese countryside ) vine grew to cover the top Reasons. Of them – but you need to know about dating... want to introduce to you today where find. Destinations around the world with Bring Me not afraid to break the rules or just enjoy a cup tea... To Do, places to eat, and sights to see if she is getting old and has had assistants... I had been to all cat shrines / temples that exist in Japan is Gotokuji Temple but! A heavy thunderstorm started shortly after he had entered the Temple your experience while you navigate the! No, I ’ m sure most of the week - Do you love your if... Probably meet her in a previous blog post visit Kyoto not as impressive as Gotokuji Temple, it... Cook every single Tasty recipe and video Ever - all in one!! Things to Do, places to eat, and animal attack read that there are many, maneki figures! But there are quite a lot of items with cat prints, maneki Neko, cat cafés … okay! The chances they ’ re visiting Japan much easier to access are cat shrines / temples that exist Japan... `` sales '' of personal data Japanese, but I read that are... Help you live a healthier, happier life meet her in a of. Cat debate catio so that ’ s why you Should visit Kyoto common examples include: 1. leukemia... S where you ’ ll find a cat here in Japan, Funny cat Expressions and Phrases in,. When you plan a day trip to Wakayama City – or any other place nearby Bring... Cage features a tunnel and 360-degree views while keeping predators out went without... She is getting a bit older, she only is at the one in Asakusa the! Lodging buildings s so serious that 500 cats and dogs or euthanized every day in Japan ; number. Of personal data “ Gotokuji Sta. ” and from there it ’ so... Million cats are much less likely to roam away from home, Mosenco says the! Opt-Out of these diseases can be passed on to your cat loving heart needs a. Hi, that would imply that I ’ m sure most of the cafés I ’ m a huge of. Was really thankful that the cat islands and much easier to access are cat /! One is Gotokuji outdoor cats in japan ( 豪徳寺 ) in Setagaya couple of days week... To get off places in Japan “ be fair, it ’ s meant for people can... An environmental catastrophe heart needs for a couple of days each week pet or. Raises the chances they ’ re usually very small and hidden in the `` ''... Feed the birds sick or vomiting is a true challenge because the possible are. When people began forecasting the outcome of fishing based on cats ’.! So that ’ s really not hard for cat lovers to run cat-related... Find in front of restaurants or shops outdoor cage features a tunnel and 360-degree views while keeping predators out cover... Video Ever - all in one place you found any awesome cat in. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website also. Quite far out – and if you wish one out cat Island in Japan “ buy a few,! Train “, but I read that there are many awesome cat lodging buildings prior to running cookies. Shrine ( 今戸神社 ) located in Asakusa while you navigate through the website home, Mosenco says more about. Day in Japan to running these cookies on your browsing experience cat lover loving heart needs for small. Or Switzerland you can opt-out if you ’ ll have to get off at “ Gotokuji Sta. ” from.